This session will offer a local perspective on the public health response to COVID-19. Specifically, the session will provide an update on the local Philadelphia response and address key issues, such as response organization, coordination with partner agencies, critical public health response strategies, and areas for future planning and expansion as the response continues to evolve. A particular area of emphasis will be on the role of non-pharmaceutical interventions in the absence of effective medical countermeasures.
- To describe the role of the Philadelphia Department of Public Health in leading the local response to COVID-19
- To identify core components of the local response to COVID-19, including testing, isolation and quarantine, social distancing measures, communications with both the public and the healthcare community, and coordination with partner agencies
- To discuss best practices, challenges, and areas for expansion and improvement as the response progresses
- Situation update
- Response organization
- Testing and case identification
- Non-pharmaceutical interventions
- Medical surge
- Communications and outreach
- Challenges and next steps
Recommended CitationCaum, MA, MPH, CPH, Jessica, "Every Response is Local: Inside the Philadelphia Response to COVID-19" (2020). COVID-19: Spread the Science, not the Virus Seminar Series. Paper 4.