This seminar will discuss the basic epidemiology of COVID-19 including SARS-CoV-2 emergence, modes of transmission, and risk factors for infection and severe disease. The current epidemic curve will be presented in the context of current surveillance efforts and an open discussion on additional epidemiological studies will conclude the seminar.
- Introduce the emergence of COVID 19
- Detail the overall epidemiology of COVID 19 with a focus on US and local data
- Describe public health surveillance systems for COVID 19
- Identify strengths and limitations of surveillance data
- Illustrate the importance of epidemiological studies in generating evidence for disease control
Patel, PhD, MPH, Ami, "COVID-19: What Can Epidemiology Tell Us?" (2020). COVID-19: Spread the Science, not the Virus Seminar Series. Paper 1.