1. To highlight existing evidence of varying staffing patterns on patient outcomes in the ICU.
2. To detail sentinel studies on the effects of in-house nocturnal staffing by intensivists.
3. To introduce randomized trial of nocturnal staffing in the ICU that explores patient and physician-related outcomes.
4. To review literature on interventions to facilitate sleep in clinicians working an overnight shift.
5. To explore methodology to measure sleep and work duration and alertness in physicians during an assigned clinical rotation.
Presentation: 1 hour and 6 minutes
Recommended CitationBakhru, MD, Rita, "Shining the light on intensivists at night: Who is sleeping anyway?" (2013). Division of Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine Presentations and Grand Rounds. Presentation 82.