Experiential Education/Learning Perspectives
• “For the things we have to learn before we can do them, we learn by doing them” - Aristotle
• “Education is lifelong through: auditory (instruction), visual (observation), and kinesthetic (hands-on activities, learning modalities)” - John Dewey
• “Behavior is a function of a person in their environment” - Kurt Lewin
• “Learner creates knowledge through direct experience that is meaningful to the student with guided reflection and analysis” - David Kolb
• Building learning experiences, discussing experiences via problem-based learning, case studies changes teacher’s role as a facilitator and mentor
Recommended CitationSimmons, Rob; Plumb, James D.; Donnelly, John; Martin, Pilar; Brody, Carinne; and Todd, Tricia, "Experiential Global Health Education for the Health Professions: Lessons Learned from Experience-Based Learning for Students, Residents and Healthcare and Population Health Professionals" (2014). College of Population Health Lectures, Presentations, Workshops. Paper 32.