This adult was working on a ladder during a home restoration project. She placed the bit in her mouth while changing the screwdriver bit, then fell from the ladder and inadvertently swallowed the bit. In the emergency room, her review of systems and laboratories were unremarkable. Imaging revealed the bit to be within the duodenal lumen and after four days of serial xrays, the bit was retrieved by snare colonoscopy at the ileocecal junction. The patient remained asymptomatic and had no complications.
Creelan, MD, Benjamin
"Foreign Body in the Small Intestine,"
The Medicine Forum: Vol. 9
, Article 22.
Available at: https://jdc.jefferson.edu/tmf/vol9/iss1/22