A 39 year-old male presented to the emergency department withgeneralized body aches after a recent fall. The patient underwenturgent trauma evaluation and incidentally was found to havemultiple medications in his right colon on radiography (Figures1 and 2). The patient was immediately screened for a drugoverdose, but he admitted to taking a large amount of Ultra-Startvitamins that he purchased on the internet. Due to suspicionfor possible drug overdose, a nasogastric tube was placed, andpolyethylene glycol was administered to help the patient pass thepills from his bowels. Despite the large ingestion of vitamins, thepatient remained asymptomatic throughout his hospitalization.
Shnitser, MD, Anastasia and Halegoua-De Marzio, MD, Dina
"Vitamins: Friend or Foe,"
The Medicine Forum: Vol. 10
, Article 21.
Available at: https://jdc.jefferson.edu/tmf/vol10/iss1/21