Building on a long and distinguished history, the Jefferson Plastic Surgery practice is forging an equally bright future as part of the Jefferson Department of Surgery.
The group - believed to be the oldest continuing plastic surgery practice in the United States – has been affiliated with Thomas Jefferson University for more than a century. As of February 2021, the surgeons and the practice have formally joined the Jefferson enterprise.
Led by Steven Copit, MD, the practice also includes Matthew Jenkins, MD, and Andrew Newman, MD. Dr. Copit and Dr. Jenkins are continuing to practice in their office space on the 15th floor of the Wills Eye Hospital Building at 9th and Walnut Street in Center City. Dr. Newman is currently based at Abington – Jefferson Health and will be making the transition to Center City early next year (see sidebar). They are supported by an excellent staff including nurse practitioner Brooke Bell, CRNP, who provides pre and post-op support to patients. As a certified nurse injector, Brooke is also able to offer Botox and filler injections.
These surgeons handle the full complement of plastic surgery procedures, including reconstructive procedures for trauma and cancer patients, as well as craniofacial surgery, pediatric plastic surgery, various forms of microsurgery, and cosmetic surgery.
“As Jefferson Health has increased the focus on breast cancer treatment, we are expanding our plastic surgery coverage at all the affiliated hospitals,” Dr. Copit explains. “Our practice stands out for the ability to offer breast cancer patients extensive options for reconstructive surgery.”
The Department of Surgery’s legacy in plastic surgery dates back to Thomas D. Mütter, MD, who served as the third Chair of Surgery from 1841 until 1856 and whose collection of artifacts formed the basis for the Mütter Museum at The College of Physicians of Philadelphia. The Jefferson Plastic Surgery practice was founded in 1904 by Warren B. Davis, MD, the first president of the American Board of Plastic Surgery. Dr. Davis’ son, Wallace Davis, MD, subsequently joined the practice and went on to become Chief of Plastic Surgery at Jefferson. Other notable partners include James W. Fox, MD, who no longer practices but still volunteers as the practice historian, and John H. Moore, Jr., MD, who died in 2011.
Dr. Copit joined the practice in 1995 and now looks forward to the exponential impact that will be possible as part of Jefferson Health.
“With the responsibility for plastic surgery services throughout the enterprise, we can better integrate and standarize these procedures across all of our hospitals,” he says. “By creating clinical pathways and consistent pre-op and post-op protocols, we will further improve the quality and safety of care.”
For more information about Jefferson Plastic Surgery, please visit: Jeffersonplasticsurgery.com
"Plastic Surgery Practice Formally Joins Jefferson Health,"
Jefferson Surgical Solutions: Vol. 16
, Article 1.
Available at: https://jdc.jefferson.edu/jss/vol16/iss1/1