Sidney and Ethal Lubert Plaza, (N side of Locust Street, E of 11th Street)
A.S. Calder, a member of the great Philadelphia family of sculptors, modeled his monumental bronze after the central figure in Thomas Eakins’ famous painting, The Gross Clinic. Dr. Gross was chief surgeon at Jefferson and renown as the greatest American surgeon of his time. Originally installed in Washington, D.C. this work was moved here in 1970 but only after an act of Congress was passed.
Photograph taken by
David Super, Medical Media Services, © Thomas Jefferson University.
Medical Media Services, Thomas Jefferson University.
Samuel D. Gross, statue, bronze, granite, Alexander Stirling Calder (1870-1945), The Gross Clinic, greatest American surgeon