Patient Blood Management: Essentials in the Perioperative Patient
- Review current data related to optimal blood use/peri operative transfusion decision making
- Describe the safe application of Patient Blood Management (PBM) principles to the practice of anesthesiology
- Illustrate important of and strategies to address preoperative anemia in surgical patients
- Explain the expanding role viscoelastic testing in organized PBM perioperative care
- What is Patient Blood Management (PBM)?
- Why PBM? Treatment without a disease?
- Mitigating (optimizing) surgical patients' risks
- Prevalence and risks of anemia
- Management of perioperative anemia
- Optimal Blood Use (OBU), the need for scientific guidance
- Plasma based vs. whole blood coagulation
Shander, MD, FCCM, FCCP. FASA, Aryeh, "Patient Blood Management: Essentials in the Perioperative Patient" (2023). Department of Surgery Presentations and Grand Rounds. Presentation 245.