- Informal care partners experience high levels of guilt, stress, anxiety, depression, and overall decreased health and wellness1-3.
- There is a gap in accessibility of services for informal care partners of individuals with chronic conditions4.
- Care partners of individuals with chronic conditions need long-term support and skill-building for the health & well-being of their care recipient and themselves5.
Coaching in Context
- Coaching in Context (CinC) (Figure 1) is a client-driven approach that leverages client’s strengths and addresses challenges through problem-solving skills.
- Coaches connect with clients to build a trusting relationship. The coach uses skillful questioning to enable the client to identify priorities and bridges/barriers to success. From there, the client establishes an action plan for goal achievement.
Kim, OTD, OTR/L, Rachel Y.; Gerhardt, MS, OTR/L, CBIS, N.; Alpajora, OTD, OTR/L, Bernadette; and Mulcahey, PhD, OTR/L, FASIA, CLCP, MJ, "Coaching in Context: Implications for Practice & Parent Perspectives" (2021). Department of Occupational Therapy Posters and Presentations. Paper 71.