- Approximately 630,000 prisoners are released into the community each year.1
- First Step Act (2018) reduces minimum sentencing for populations such as nonviolent drug offenders.2
- Majority released to unsafe areas due to shortage of affordable housing. 3
- Insecure housing and homelessness are related to increased:
- Recidivism4; Emergency room use5; Substance use 6; Unstable family relationships7; Mental health (MH) problems.7
- Post-release is a high-risk time due to poor care continuity and lack of support.8 •Individuals report difficulty: Obtaining employment and stable housing, accessing relevant treatment services, reintegrating with their families and communities.9
- Stable housing provides a secure place to seek employment, creates a sense of community, and develops a routine for complying with post-release terms.4
Recommended CitationKumar, BS, Pari; Merz, BS, Jennifer A.; Zapletal, OTD, OTR/L, CLA, Audrey L.; and Connor, OTD, OTR/L, CCHP, Susan E., "From Prison to the Community: The Pivotal Role of OT in Facilitating a Healthy Transition" (2019). Department of Occupational Therapy Posters and Presentations. Paper 57.