Download Full Text (4.7 MB)
- Antimicrobial use is a crucial element of patient care but their overuse and misuse have detrimental effects including the growing problem of antimicrobial resistance (AMR).
- Nurse empowerment and engagement has resulted in improvements in many quality initiatives including enhanced patient safety in the areas of Central Line Associated Bloodstream Infections (CLABSI), Catheter-Associated Urinary Tract Infections (CAUTI) and pressure injuries (Carter, 2016).
- Enhancing nurse empowerment in AS may be effective in reducing antibiotic misuse.
- The purpose of this study is to implement an educational program engaging nurses in AS activities and determining the effect of this educational intervention on the knowledge and empowerment of staff nurses.
- The theoretical framework for this study is the work of Donabedian (2005) on the quality of health care which is divided into structure, process and outcome measures
antibiotic stewardship, nursing knowledge, nurse empowerment
Medicine and Health Sciences | Nursing
Fitzpatrick, RN, MSN, AG-CNS, ACNP, CCRN, Eleanor, "The Effect of a Didactic Educational Program with Practical Application on Nursing Knowledge and Empowerment in Antibiotic Stewardship" (2019). College of Nursing Posters. 22.