Download Poster (368 KB)
- Androgen deprivation therapy (ADT) is successfully used in patients with advanced prostate cancer.
- ADT has show to prolong survival.
- The use of ADT is associated with many side effects, most notably an increase in diabetes incidence for patients on ADT.
- African American men have higher prevalence and mortality rates from prostate cancer than White men.
- It is unclear how prostate cancer treatment such as ADT affects these disparities.
- This study examines racial differences in the prevalence of diabetes mellitus in prostate cancer patients based on their ADT status in the US.
medical oncology, disparities, prostate cancer, diabetes mellitus
Medicine and Health Sciences | Oncology
Gomaa, Sameh; Kelly, DO, William; Lu-Yao, PhD, Grace; Mitchell, MD, Edith; Zhan, PhD, Tingting; and Wen, PhD, Kuang-Yi, "Racial Disparities in Diabetes Mellitus Prevalence in Prostate Cancer Patients on Androgen Deprivation Therapy" (2022). Department of Medical Oncology Posters. 16.