- Define sarcopenia as a clinical diagnosis as described by the European Working Group on Sarcopenia in Older Persons (EWGSOP2)
- Recognize, identify, and describe sarcopenia as a distinct disease process
- Review impact on health outcomes and healthcare costs
- Explain tools used to aid in diagnosis in clinical practice
- Explore the nuances of therapeutic interventions
- Discuss role of the primary care physician
● What is sarcopenia?
- Definition provided by EWGSOP2
- Brief overview of pathophysiology
● Why is it important?
- Impact on health outcomes
- Healthcare costs
- Review EWGSOP2 framework for clinical practice
- Office based testing
● Treatment and Prevention
- Dietary interventions
- Exercise Interventions
- Role of PCP
Recommended CitationHaines, MD, Mike, "Sarcopenia: A Functional Chronic Disease" (2021). Department of Family & Community Medicine Presentations and Grand Rounds. Paper 485.