- Appreciate a brief history of sepsis
- Understand the limitations of SIRS as a screening tool for sepsis
- Understand the Third International Consensus Definitions for Sepsis (Sepsis-3) and related clinical assessment tools
- Recognize the rationale behind the new definition for sepsis
- Understand the relationship of the new sepsis definition to bedside screening and treatment of sepsis patients (qSOFA)
- Review the 3-hour bundle recommended by the Surviving Sepsis Campaign
- Review the pertinent patient cases
Recommended CitationLopez, MD, Kelly A., "Sepsis" (2016). Department of Family & Community Medicine Presentations and Grand Rounds. Paper 109.