Caring for Patients with Disabilities: Language, Bias, and Communication
- Appreciate the complexity of defining disability
- Become familiar with different models used to conceptualize disability
- Identify language used to describe disability
- Understand how bias, stigma, and negative attitudes impact quality of care for patients with disabilities
- Appreciate the relevance of disability studies perspectives in medicine
- Become familiar with communication gaps and effective communication considerations
Seymour, Rory, "Caring for Patients with Disabilities: Language, Bias, and Communication" (2022). Disability Care Lecture Series. Paper 1.