Julie S. Berkowitz
On March 11, 1871 Samuel D. Gross, M.D., the internationally celebrated surgeon and author, entreated fellow Jefferson alumni to "adorn the halls" with portraits of those who had "devoted their lives to the service of the school," and thus "inspire the pupil with ambition to excel in great and noble works." This clarion call to emulate European medical and scientific institutions by memorializing their great men was taken up almost immediately.
One hundred and twenty-five years later, Thomas Jefferson university is still securing portraits, accepting art donations and bequests, and exhibiting art works effectively. By manifesting an appreciation for the power of art to teach, inspire, and enlighten, the university continues to honor Gross's profound idea. The consciousness of succeeding generations of Jeffersonians, who undergo daily the intense pressures of professional study and practice, has been uplifted by an abundant display of visual arts.
Individual art objects considered collectively can construct a pictorial history of and describe the spirit of the institution. The Jefferson collection is diverse enough to trace a meaningful history of public portrait trends in late-nineteenth- and twentieth-century Philadelphia.
By Julie S. Berkowitz
Favorite Recipes: Submitted by Graduates of the School of Nursing of the Jefferson Medical College Hospital
Julia Tyler Gaskill
Favorite Recipes of the Jefferson Nurses Alumnae, 1900-1960.
The Daniel Baugh Institute of Anatomy of the Jefferson Medical College of Philadelphia: History of its Foundation, Description of the Building and of its Adaptability to Teaching Anatomy
Jefferson Medical College
A history of the foundation of the Daniel Baugh Institute of Anatomy, including a description of the building and 1912 facilities, museum, demonstrating rooms, and floor plans, as well as the dedication addresses of Dr. Edward Anthony Spitzka and Professor Piersol. 30 pages.